Total Page Views

Friday, September 2, 2011

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW VS. THE DEVIL YOU DON'T


It's September and so here we are with less than a month left in the season with our beloved Dodgers looking like they will miss the playoffs for a second straight year ( see other post for hope springs eternal in my mind ) and we may or may not be closer to the end of the McCourt saga. It has been reported on many websites and blogs now that there is a 1.2 BILLION cash deal on the table from the former owner of the L.A. Marathon to buy the Dodgers. On face value this looks like a great deal for everyone as we get rid of the Boston idiot that has tainted our team.

On one hand McCourt no matter what happens, I think in the end he has to sell the team. Too much pressure from the ex wife, Bud, BK Courts, etc but with this offer I'm not sure its the right time for him to let go. Being a season ticket holder it irks me every year I renew that I know my money is going into one of his many shell companies. But when the Dodgers make and win the world series I for damn sure will be there and knowing that I was there for the lean times. At this rate there is no way that if McCourt is still owner of the team during the FA signing period that he will be splurging on any big offense minded player ( i.e. Fielder ). Also the clock keeps ticking on locking up Kemp and Kershaw. It also has been stated by them and Ethier that they are frustrated with the fan turnout and everything else attached to it. Problem is though that fans are still boycotting the team because of McCourt and won't be returning to the stadium en mass until there is change at the top. Now, if this offer goes through we are now in bed potentially with a government owned Chinese bank. I don't know about you but I don't want any government in my entertainment especially the Dodgers. I was around for the Fox years and like them I think the Bank will just be looking at the bottom line. Maybe they will splurge on FA ( Kemp ) but then not pursue others or retain our own ( Kershaw , Pujols ). Fox sold off the franchise face in Piazza because they didn't want to give him that few extra million that he thought (rightfully so) he was due. So instead of watching a catcher have his HOF numbers in Dodger blue we had to watch him in New York and instead we got Charles Johnson to replace him amongst other missteps. I liked Kevin Brown as a player but if you are going to pay that type of money you pay it to a everyday player that is already loved in the city. So if you are looking at the bottom line saving that extra few million in Piazza cost you alot in public relations and at the gate as people were turned off. So obviously you lost money there. That is my fear here with the potential in this proposed deal or any other deal that does not involve someone that has a passion for either baseball or winning or preferably both.

McCourt needs to go for the better of the Dodgers and baseball but at the same time I rather risk another year or so of waiting him out til the inevitable end of him selling off rather than a rash and rushed decision to sell off to someone that is looking at the bottom line again and really would be managing only by spreadsheets and not also by baseball knowledge and what it takes to be a winner once more in this town. I personally am holding out/hoping for either Mark Cuban or someone in the same vein and mold as him. We can't afford someone that will buy the team on hedging or someone that doesn't understand the passion of baseball and is only looking at making a quick buck at the expense of a championship caliber team on the field.

1 comment:

Spiegel83 said...

I don't even believe that this offer is real. I think McCourt is floating this "offer" out there to try and drum up interest. Everything he does makes me skeptical.