Total Page Views

Friday, September 9, 2011

BASEBALL AND REMEMBERING 9-11




We are in the stretch run of the baseball season and even though our beloved Dodgers are destined to miss the playoffs we still turn our eye to the team as they are up north in enemy territory and hopefully dispatch any hope of the Giants making the postseason. If we can't go they should not. Only time I want to see them in the postseason is versus us and we beating them on our way to a World Series ring.

I will be turning on the games with great anticipation especially tonight's marquess match up but knowing the date and everything being broadcast on all forms of media we can not escape the anniversary of 9-11-01 and the horrific things transpired that day that still affects our daily lives today. There will be pre-game ceremonies and tributes through all sport events this weekend and that is justified and applauded as we need to pay our respects to those who lost their lives that day and to those who lived but have had their lives altered forever. This anniversary is being presented on a bigger scale as it is a "big" round number (10) and not the common yearly ones, though there is always something on those days as well.

Though I was not directly affected per se by what happened on that tragic day, it did change my views on life and how people are and can be when pushed. It also showed me even if people have different views they can be united under one belief or one cause. We as Americans were together for the first time since WWII no matter what the color of our skin is, our political views, age or our income level. Our will was strong and we vowed to never forget and we went about to right the wrong that happened to us. If has been debated over time that what happened was deserved and coming to us due to our influence on the world. Wherever you stand on what we have or have not done in the world no one deserves what happened to us. Though still wrong and deserving of our vengeance, I can see if someone went after our President and only our President but they went and physically killed 3000+ people of all races and ages and scared millions more. It would be like us wanting to kill Saddam and to do what we felt was right we just bombed all of Iraq to kill him. We didn't do that and whether you agree we should go in and kill this man, we did it the right way by doing our best not to kill innocent people.

Sunday will be a day of remembrance and prayers for those we lost and those still dealing with the pain 10 years later that will never fully be healed or go away. I will be one of millions doing the same but at the same time we, including myself, should not need a day set aside every year to have a silent moment, prayers, ceremonies etc. Everyday we should "never forget " what happened and put in 110% of our efforts to not forget and help let it not happen again. You might think what can you do as you and I are just normal, everyday citizens. You control the ballot box. If you don't like what our government is doing about world events surrounding the war abroad, change it with your voice and vote. Volunteer at any places that needs help. It doesn't even have to be directly connected to anything on the war, but positive energy and deeds go a long way.

I am thankful for my non oppressed life that I get to live in this great country. My political views notwithstanding I want us as a whole to stand up to any form of aggression towards us whether that is by talking and if need be by force. War is not good but when push comes to shove and it is needed we must proceed to defend our country versus her enemies. I don't always remember what was fought for my rights and "forget" events in our past but I am trying to do better on that.

I am posting this today, Friday, and I ask myself and you to remember everyday of what happened on that day and not just this Sunday. Say thank you to those police officers and fire firefighters. They risked their lives that day and everyday before and after as they continue to do a job that a lot of us take for granted. When you see those military service people get off or on a plane take a moment to think what they have or will go through and how you reap what they sow. Our freedom is not a given, it is earned and maintained. So as I don my special USA Flag Dodger cap and root my Dodgers on against the hated Giants, I will try to remember that even though I am emotionally invested in the game it still is just a game in the grand scheme of things. I will strive to remember that and hope you do the same.

God Bless America
God Bless You and Your Loved Ones
and God Bless the 2012 World Series Champion Dodgers

1 comment:

CVeit said...

All day on Sunday I kept trying to think of something eloquent to say that expressed my thoughts on 9-11. Something worthy for those that passed and those left to remember. I just couldn't form the words, all I could think of was that poor man that lost all of his employees that day. He survived because he dropped his daughter off at her first day of Kindergarten. I decided that since I couldn't think of something worthy I would just be silent. But now with hindsight and reading this, I realize that I was thinking of him for a reason. We never know. We never know what the day is going to bring. We never know when our time if up. We never know when the last time we see a loved one will be. We never know what will happen. That day so many people were late to work for mundane events, forgetting something, oversleeping, missed the bus, spilling something on their clothes on the way out the door. Ironically, the things that really annoy us on the average day, may be saving our lives, and we don't even know it. That day, all of those people, who were probably cussing and being aggravated, saw first hand what those little annoyances saved them from. So, we should remember those that died, and pray for those that lost someone, but we should also remember that we never know... and live life by that. Make everyday count as much as possible. Like you said put as much good out there as you can, it just might help the world be a better place. And, most important of all, make sure that the ones you love know it, because you never know...

Oh and as a side note:

God Bless the 2012 World Series Champion Dodgers - I like the positive thinking in action there...haha