Total Page Views

Monday, August 22, 2011

TIM SALMON SIGNING @ OC DUGOUT - 8.20.2011


So, as a baseball fan and not just a Dodger fan if a player of some positive caliber is in town and doing an appearance I like to venture out and try to get their autograph. Obviously growing up in southern California I saw Salmon alot on tv and respected him as a player. Stayed with the team when he could have moved on, took on a lesser role to be part of a championship team, etc. This signing was this past Saturday at OC Dugout out in Anaheim. Since I have never been there and I plan to be there this weekend for Dee Gordon's appearance I thought I would use this opportunity to scout the place and see how it is run and what to expect next weekend. I even took my wife who is a die hard angel fan. Boy, this has to rank as one of my worst experiences at a signing considering the circumstances there.

The signing was scheduled from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Called ahead and they stated that if I got there by 1:30-2:00 I should have no problem getting an autograph. We got there around 1:30 and didn't notice any line which I found odd but walked into the door and noticed Salmon in the back of the store with no one but a few fans mingling around and store workers but no one in line to get an autograph. Cool. So walked up and paid my fee and walked towards the table he was signing at. I had my wife get the camera ready so I could get a picture. He was sitting there signing felt copies of his number (15) obviously for the store as they pay for time and not actual number of signatures which is all good and fine. I walk up to Salmon and say hi, how are you? No response and as I had the ball and pen in my hand in front of him and he takes it and without looking up at us and signs the ball and hands it back with nothing else to say as I said thank you. I then asked to take a photo and the store workers/owners that sitting next to him feeding his felt numbers say, NO, its too late, you had to take picture of him signing the ball and there is no way for a picture with him. All this as Salmon is not even looking up while continuing to sign his number. My wife ends up taking a picture of him signing his number from afar and I was given a dirty look. Again, all this and there is no one else in the store to actually get a signature and he still had over a hour left on his time.

The wife said that this was the rudest signing she has been too and she doesn't go to many and she is the Angel fan. I can understand pictures and such when there is a long line and crowd ( a la Kemp signings ) but when you are the only person there and are paying I would at the very least expect some common courtesy to acknowledge the person in front of you. Players can have bad days like the rest of us but this is my fourth Angel signing in my life and only one has been a pleasant one. What bothered me even more was the stores employees with the rude looks and rushed atmosphere. And before anyone asks, no, I went in plain clothes. No team affiliation whatsoever. I respect the player not to show up in other teams colors if there are not Dodgers. I really hope Dee's appearance is better and if not I will not be going back to the OC Dugout anytime soon.

2 comments:

Dodgerbobble said...

What an asshole. I'm not surprised from an Angel. If you pay for an auto, you should be treated like a king. That's an absolute travesty. Shame on Salmon and shame on OC Dugout.


My experience with Salmon was a good one. He signed at FanFest last year. Heck, I was wearing Dodger blue too.

DodgerPenguin said...

Dont like going to Angel county but Dee will probably still be there this Sat so I might have to bear down one more time.